SPC Celebrates National Credit Union Youth Week
In celebration of National Credit Union Youth Week (April 21-25) SPC joined credit unions around the country to stress the importance of financial education to young members. SPC held a contest for students in the Darlington County School District. The contest, which included a coloring and essay contest for elementary students and an online scavenger hunt for middle and high school students, was designed to engage students in basic financial principles such as savings, credit and investments.
More than 2,400 students representing 58 classrooms and 16 schools participated in the program. Winners were chosen in each category as follows:
Grades 5K – 2nd Grade Coloring Contest:
- Tai Hatchell of Pate Elementary received a $100 Wal-Mart gift card and a complimentary SPC Savasaurus Club Savings Account.
3rd – 5th Grade Essay Contest:
- Alisha Dundy of Rosenwald Elementary won a $100Wal-Mart gift card and a complimentary SPC Savasaurus Club Savings Account.
Middle / High School Online Scavenger Hunt:
- 3rd Place: Leverne Douglas, a HartsvilleMiddle School Student won an 8 GB iPod Nano.
- 2nd Place: Tonya Lewis of Hartsville High School was the winner of a Fuji Digital Camera.
- 1st Place: Kennedy Steen of HartsvilleMiddle School won a Dell Laptop Computer with carrying case.
Elementary Classroom Winner:
- Kasey Cannon’s 5th Grade class at North Hartsville Elementary received a classroom celebration for the students that included refreshments, prizes and a visit by SPC’s “Sunny the Savasaurus”.
Middle/High School Classroom Winner:
- Ms. Vanessa Thomas’ HartsvilleMiddle School Class received a $200 donation for supplies and equipment.
One school from all participating classes was selected to receive a $1000 grant to continue its efforts to provide comprehensive, results-oriented programs to improve financial literacy. This year’s winner was Darlington High School.
SPC Credit Union Youth Part of $12 Million Savings Challenge
During the National Credit Union YouthWeek Celebration, April 21-25, SPC participated in a nationwide “Youth Savings Challenge” sponsored by the Credit Union National Association (CUNA). Young credit union members across the nation were challenged to save for the future by depositing money into their credit union saving’s accountduring this week long event.
Using the theme, “Got Green? Grow It at your Credit Union”, young SPCmembers were encouraged to save their money and watch it grow with a $25match of their deposit provided by the credit union. SPC youth rose to the challenge depositing over $73,000 which included $5,000 in matching funds for deposits made by children ages 6 – 17
during youth week.
Total funds deposited by youth across the country were over $12 million.
LindaWeatherford, SPC Director of Marketing & Business Development states, “At SPC, we are committed to youth financial education and hope to relay to youth that saving for the future reaps great rewards. We will continue to encourage students to save and make smart financial decisions with programs such as National Youth Week and
SPC’s Savasaurus, Teen-Scene, & Fusion youth accounts.”
SPC Auto Loans Premium Rates AND FREE Gas!
With prices at the pump at an all-time high – you can’t afford not to visit
your credit union for that new or used auto loan. In addition to premium
rates, for a limited time, you’ll also receive FREE GAS! Now, that’s a winning
combination – great rates and FREE gas! Check out other great benefits of
an SPC Vehicle Loan:
- Rates as low as 5.75% APR*
- 100% financing available
- Low-cost Payment Protection Plans
- MEMBER’S CHOICE ExtendedWarranty Plan
- On the lot approval with Credit Union Direct Lending (For a list of participating dealerships, visit www.spccu.org and click the CUDL logo.)
*Annual Percentage Rate. Other rates may apply depending on your creditworthiness. Promotion period: July 1 – September 31, 2008. Ask a loan officer for information and criteria. Current SPC loans do not apply.
CU Student H.E.L.P. –– THE MONEY YOU NEED to help pay for college is here!!
SPC has partnered with the Credit Union Student Higher Education Loan Program (CU Student H.E.L.P.) to help make your college dreams a reality. You can go off to college next semester knowing you have the money to pay for it.
Visit www.spccu.org now, and learn more about private student loans with:
- Loan amount up to $250,000*;
- Competitive rates and fees;
- A simple 3-step application;
- Fast decisions – preliminary approval in as little as 60 seconds; and
- The only private student loan to offer a 12-month grace period.
Don’t let college expenses hold you back. Visit www.spccu.org to apply for your CU Student H.E.L.P. loan today!
CU Student H.E.L.P. is administered by Campus Door. All loans are subject to credit approval. Lender is Lehman Brothers Bank, FSB. Equal Opportunity Lender. SPC is compensated for the referral of private loan customers to the Lender.
*Maximum loan amount denotes a lifetime aggregate maximum.
Local Students Receive Scholarships
Students attending high school in the three counties served by SPC, Darlington, Florence & Marlboro, were awarded scholarships from the credit union. Students were selected by their respective school’s administration to receive the $500 scholarship to be used to pursue their academic goals. This year’s recipients
- Hartsville High School: Ariele Soto
- Lamar High School: Cera Jean Windham
- Emmanuel Christian School: Courtney Sims
- Darlington High School: Darius Sims
- Mayo High School for Science & Technology: Rebecca
- Marlboro County High School: Kevin Covington
- Byrnes School: Carla Leann Davis
- South Florence High School: Adrian Renata Peguese
- Trinity Collegiate: John Marschalk Berry, Jr.
- West Florence High School: Nathan Grush
- Wilson High School: Sarah Lambert
New Account Services Now Available for SPC’s Youngest Members
SPC’s newest youth club, Dino-Mites, kicked off on May 21st with a fun day of play
at FunDayGo in Florence, SC. The Dino-Mites club is for SPC members age 3-5.
Membership in this club includes two outings per year and fun activities to encourage
savings from a very early age. For a limited time, these young savers will also receive a “DinoMite” bank – perfect for saving those pennies, nickels and dimes! DinoMites automatically become Savasaurus club members on their sixth birthday.
In addition, SPC now offers a special savings plan for our youngest members, ages 0-2. “WeeSavers” are eligible to receive a special bank designed especially for them. These
limited offer baby bottle banks include medicine droppers and a feeding spoon. Stop by any branch location today and help the child in your life to take a very important first step – saving for their future.
Off To College?
Off to Work?
SPC is There!
No matter if you are off to college or off to work, SPC will be with you. With services
like SPC NetBranch (our on-line branch) eStatements, & SPC Billpay, your credit
union is as close as your PC. Ask about our FUSION account for young adults that includes:
- FREE checking account with a FREE FUSION debit card
- Online Account Access with SPC NetBranch
- VISA® Credit Card
- First-time Auto Buyer Special Rate
Financial services for the “real world”! Find them at SPC!